Thursday, October 20, 2016

On passion – excerpts from letters to my daughter

On a different note, let me tell you about “Pal Hairdresser”, Sector 9, Panchkula...

Dadaji* insisted as soon as he saw me that my beard needed trimming. So we went to Sector 9 into this cubby hole of a place, all neat and clean, air-conditioned (yes!) with three barber chairs lined up in front of a series of mirrors. You get the picture. Mr. Pal greeted Daddy with the respect only veteran faujis seem to engender. After a few pleasantries, he got started on my countenance with a confidence I simply couldn’t help noticing. A comb here, a snip there with his long, desi pair of scissors while romantic Punjabi numbers played on. I found myself giggling as the singer expressed undying love and devotion for his paramour in a language that I have to admit is just not one for romance. Bengali, check. Urdu, check. Telugu, perhaps… but Punjabi??


Anyhow, before I realized it, he was working my sideburns, with a desi ustra (long blade razor), something I have seldom allowed barbers to use after a nasty nick when I was 5. But today, it wasn’t an issue at all since I just trusted the man. In fact I wanted him to keep at his work, so asked him for a head massage.

(I asked Dadaji to also get his done and Mr. Pal was ELATED! He promptly delegated my head and switched to Daddy’s amidst mild protestations from Dadaji – “jo thore baal hain woh bhi gaye”J)

Overall, a great time; we went in for a beard trim but came out all relaxed after the massages!

As I came out, I couldn’t help but reflect on how I felt after my sessions at Hyatt and the hard truth is that Mr. Pal was a more engaging, confident, talented barber head to head (no pun intended). And it cost us a fraction of the Hyatt loot. I have seen a similar inversion of service when I compare the random sales people in Shoppers Stop to the person who sells shirts exclusively at that store in King Koti (next to the hosiery place). Or when I compare the Surya café proprietor with the “manager” of any 5 Star restaurant. The traditional ones are leagues ahead of their modern upscale equivalents. So what gives?

I think the difference is passion. Passion for their trade leads to the desire to build expertise and then pride in their work. Many of them are 2nd or 3rd generation traders and carry the burden of legacy on their shoulders as well. Their confidence comes from their expertise while their ability to “upsell” the customer (beard to sideburns to massage) comes from specialization in their field that allows for deeper insight into the customer’s psyche.

I think it’s no wonder that generic department stores in malls are struggling to compete with e-commerce sites. The latter are perfectly fine at meeting the specific needs of their customers. For customers who desire customization Mr. Pall truly beats the average barber in any 5-Star hotel.

* Dadaji: Grandfather


No comments:

Post a Comment